Thank you for your interest in applying for certification in the State of Idaho. This is a guide for the process of gaining the designation of Certified Peer Recovery Coach (CPRC) under the auspices of the Idaho Board of Alcohol/Drug Counselor Certification, Inc. (IBADCC). Please note that information contained herein may be changed without notice.

IBADCC is an independent, non-profit corporation whose purpose is to set and maintain professional certification standards for practitioners in addictions counseling. This serves the profession by controlling the practitioner standards and qualifications at the state level and it provides the individual with a credential signifying professional competency.

IBADCC is a member of the International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC). The IC&RC is the national body whose function is to grant reciprocity from state to state and to set appropriate standards for credentials. The IC&RC office will no longer automatically mail reciprocally certified professionals an international paper certificate. You can order your own paper certificate from IC&RC by clicking on this link: Order Form

CPRC Applications and Renewals should be completed and submitted online.

Existing certificate holders should login with their email on file with IBADCC.
New applicants should click here to submit a new application.

Renewal applications must be completed on or before your certification expiration date. If your renewal is completed after your expiration date and within the first 30 days, you will be charged a grace period fee. Any time after a month from your expiration date, your certification is considered lapsed. Certifications at any level that have been expired more than six (6) months MUST go through the process of reapplying and retesting for their certification, unless inactive status was approved.

Should you have any questions regarding the credentialing process, please direct your inquiries to

CPRC Eligibility Criteria

Experience/Educational Requirements

A) High School Diploma or GED: A minimum of a high school diploma or GED, verified by transcript

B) Experience: 500 hours of specific paid or volunteer peer recovery support experience in a clinical or community setting (inpatient, outpatient, residential, community or outreach) is required. 500 hours roughly equals three months of full-time (40 hours per week) work (paid or volunteer) or roughly six months of part-time (20 hours per week) work (paid or volunteer). Experience does not have to all occur in one setting, but it must occur in the context of working with peers with recovery support issues, coincide with the performance domains, and be documented by a supervisor.

Supervision: Of the 500 experience hours, there must be documentation of 25 hours of supervision, with a minimum
of 5 hours in each of the CPRC domains (Advocacy, Mentoring/Education, Ethical Responsibility and Recovery Wellness/Support). Supervision is defined as a formal, systematic process that focuses on skill development and integration of knowledge. The CPRC applicant must submit a signed, supervisor evaluation form. (See Section IV
for forms)

All supervised hours must be supervised and signed by:
a) A CADC who has completed 46 hours of Peer Recovery Coach training OR
b) An individual who has completed 46 hours of Peer Recovery Coach training and has a minimum of two years paid or
    volunteer work experience in the four CPRC domains OR
c) an approved Health and Welfare Clinical Supervisor (QP) under IDAPA who has completed 46 hours of
    Peer Recovery Coach training OR

C) Education/Training Requirements: Documentation of 46 hours of specific education/training related to the CPRC domains of Advocacy, Mentoring/Education, Ethical Responsibility and Recovery Wellness/Support. There should be no less than 10 hours in each domain with the exception of Ethical Responsibility. There should be documentation of a minimum of 16 hours in the Ethical Responsibility domain.

Education/Training is defined as:
Workshops, trainings or seminars approved by IC&RC, NAADAC, State of Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, NASW, NBCC or IBADCC. Documentation of workshop/seminar requires a copy of any certificates of completion. College/university courses one (1) credit hour equals 15 clock hours.

Please note:
Documentation of all college/university courses must include an official transcript. (Must be in sealed envelope to be considered official)
Practicum hours cannot be counted as education but can be counted as experience.

D) Self-Identified Person in Recovery: Applicants must identify as an individual in recovery from a substance use disorder and who meet the average abstinence requirements for recovering staff in alcohol and other drug treatment programs, which is a minimum of 12 months of continuous abstinence from alcohol and/or illicit drugs.

CPRC Testing

A completed application must be submitted and approved in order to be eligible to test.

IC&RC Study Guides are available at

Application $50.00
CBT Exam $145.00
Two-Year Renewal Fee
State Certification which includes the IC&RC membership update