Thank you for your interest in applying for certification in the State of Idaho. This is a guide for the process of gaining the designation of Certified Alcohol/Drug Counselor (CADC) under the auspices of the Idaho Board of Alcohol/Drug Counselor Certification, Inc. (IBADCC). Please note that information contained herein may be changed without notice.

IBADCC is an independent, non-profit corporation whose purpose is to set and maintain professional certification standards for practitioners in addictions counseling. This serves the profession by controlling the practitioner standards and qualifications at the state level and it provides the individual with a credential signifying professional competency.

IBADCC is a member of the International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC). The IC&RC is the national body whose function is to grant reciprocity from state to state and to set appropriate standards for credentials. The IC&RC office will no longer automatically mail reciprocally certified professionals an international paper certificate. You can order your own paper certificate from IC&RC by clicking on this link: Order Form

CADC Applications and Renewals should be completed and submitted online.

Existing certificate holders should login with their email on file with IBADCC.
New applicants should click here to submit a new application.

Renewal applications must be completed on or before your certification expiration date. If your renewal is completed after your expiration date and within the first 30 days, you will be charged a grace period fee. Any time after a month from your expiration date, your certification is considered lapsed. Certifications at any level that have been expired more than six (6) months MUST go through the process of reapplying and retesting for their certification, unless inactive status was approved.

Should you have any questions regarding the credentialing process, please direct your inquiries to

CADC Eligibility Criteria

Experience/Educational Requirements

A. Documentation of 6,000 hours of supervised work experience with AODA clients within the 12 Core Functions (see Section II). Work experience can be full-time or part-time experience.

  • A Bachelor ’s Degree in the Behavioral Science Field may be substituted for 2,000 hours of work experience.
  • A Master’s Degree in the Behavioral Science Field may be substituted for 4,000 hous of work experience.    
  • All employment hours as a SUDA may count towards the 6,000 required hours of work experience 
  • The list of degrees for substitution includes but is not limited to: Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, Social Science, Counseling and Alcohol/Drug Studies.

Included in the work experience, documentation of supervision with a minimum of ten hours in each of the 12 Core Functions is also required. Supervision is tiered based on the applicant's highest level of education as outlined below. These hours can be viewed as the candidate’s “internship” or “practicum” experience, although these hours do not need to be completed through a formal experience such as a practicum course. Supervision is defined as a formal, systematic process that focuses on skill development and integration of knowledge and generally occurs early in a career. Supervision must take place in a setting where AODA counseling is being provided. Supervision may be a part of the eligible work experience. Supervision may be completed under more than one supervisor or agency. Please see Section II for additional information regarding supervision.

  • 200 hours with a minimum of 10 hours in each domain with a Bachelor's degree in a related field.
  • 150 hours with a minimum of 10 hours in each domain with a Master's degree in a related field.

B. Supervision of the hours requires that the supervisor meet the following requirements and MUST provide documentation of qualifications:

  1. a CADC who has been certified for 3 years and has completed 15 hours of training in supervision OR
  2. an ACADC OR
  3. a CCS OR
  4. a person with a Master’s Degree and license in addictions counseling or Master's Degree and certification in addictions counseling OR
  5. OR an approved Health and Welfare Clinical Supervisor (QP) under IDAPA

C. Documentation of 270 hours of education, no less than 30 hours in each domain specifically related to the IC & RC Performance Domains and Tasks which includes: Screening, Assessment and Engagement, Treatment Planning, Collaboration and Referral, Counseling, Professional and Ethical Responsibilities (for more information, see Section II).

D. Six (6) hours of training in Professional and Ethical Responsibilities specific to substance abuse counselors. The six (6) hours must include the following areas: federal and state laws, client welfare as a primary concern, professional competence supervision/development, financial issues, personal wellness, and relationships to professionals and institutions.
Education is defined as:

  • Workshops or seminars approved by IC&RC, NAADAC, State of Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, NASW, NBCC, or IBADCC. Documentation of workshop/seminar requires a copy of any certificates of completion.
  • “In-service” of 5 hours maximum. Documentation of workshop/seminar requires a copy of any certificates of completion.
  • College/university courses one (1) credit hour equals 15 clock hours.

Please note: Documentation of all college/university courses must include an official transcript. (mailed to IBADCC from the institution)
Please note: Practicum hours cannot be counted as education but can be counted as work experience.

CADC Testing

A completed application must be submitted and approved in order to be eligible to test.

A study guide is available at

IC&RC Study Guides AND Practice Exams are available at

Application $80.00
CBT Exam $235.00
Two-Year Renewal Fee
State Certification which includes the IC&RC membership update